Topical content refers to any relevant and up-to-date content with the current trends, news, and events of a particular industry or field.
Businesses, organisations, and individuals stay relevant and establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry by using topical content. Timely and relevant content for current events, they can attract and engage their target audience, build brand awareness, and establish credibility and authority in their field.
Topical content provides valuable insights, information, and perspectives on the latest happenings, issues, and developments in a specific area of interest.Topical content can take many forms, including blog posts, news articles, podcasts, videos, social media posts, and more. In addition, it can cover a wide range of subjects, such as technology, politics, entertainment, health, business, and more.
Importance of Topical Content
Topical content is essential because it helps businesses, organisations, and individuals to:
- Stay current and relevant: They can stay relevant and top-of-mind with their target audience by creating content aligned with current events and trends.
- Build authority and credibility: By sharing their insights and expertise on current topics, they can establish themselves as thought leaders and build credibility and authority with their audience.
- Increase engagement and reach: Topical content is more likely to be shared and engaged with by their audience, leading to increased visibility, traffic, and engagement for their brand or organisation.
How to create a topical content strategy?
Here are some steps to create a topical content strategy:
- Identify your target audience: Determine who your target audience is, their interests, and what kind of content they engage with.
- Stay up-to-date with industry news and trends: Stay informed about your industry’s latest news and trends by following relevant sources and attending industry events.
- Conduct keyword research: Use tools like Google Keyword Planner to identify relevant keywords related to current events or trends in your industry.
- Plan your content calendar: Create a content calendar that aligns with current events and trends and that includes a mix of different content types, such as blog posts, videos, social media posts, and more.
- Incorporate a variety of perspectives: Incorporate different perspectives into your content by interviewing industry experts, featuring guest writers, or sharing user-generated content.
- Promote your content: Share your content on social media, email newsletters, and other relevant channels to ensure maximum visibility and engagement.
Future use and application of topical content strategy
The future use and application of topical content strategy will continue to grow in importance as the digital landscape evolves. Here are a few reasons why:
- Increasing competition: As more businesses and organisations compete for consumers’ attention online, creating topical content that resonates with their target audience will become more important to stand out and stay relevant.
- Evolving technology: As technology evolves, new platforms and formats for creating and sharing content will emerge. Topical content strategies will need to adapt to these changes to remain effective.
- The growing importance of personalization: As consumers become more accustomed to personalised content experiences, topical content strategies that consider individual interests and preferences will become increasingly important to drive engagement and loyalty.
Benefits of topical content strategy
There are several benefits of a topical content strategy, including:
- Increased visibility and traffic: Topical content aligned with current events and trends can attract a larger audience and increase traffic to your website or social media channels.
- Improved engagement and interaction: Topical content that resonates with your target audience can increase engagement, comments, and shares, which can help build a community around your brand or organisation.
- Establishing authority and credibility: By providing valuable insights and expertise on current topics, you can establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry and build credibility and trust with your audience.
- Improved SEO: Creating topical content that incorporates relevant keywords and phrases can improve your search engine rankings and increase visibility for your brand or organisation.
- Cost-effective marketing: Topical content can be a cost-effective marketing strategy as it does not require a large budget for production and can be shared across multiple channels for maximum impact.
Nike regularly creates topical content that aligns with current events, such as their “Equality” campaign during the Black Lives Matter protests, which featured athletes and celebrities advocating for racial equality.
What is topical content?
Topical content is relevant and timely content that aligns with current events or trends in your industry or niche.
Why is topical content important?
Topical content is essential because it can help businesses and organisations attract and engage their target audience, establish credibility and authority in their industry, and drive growth and success in today’s digital landscape.
How can I create a topical content strategy?
To create a topical content strategy, you can identify your target audience, stay up-to-date with industry news and trends, conduct keyword research, plan your content calendar, incorporate a variety of perspectives, and promote your content through relevant channels.
What are the benefits of a topical content strategy?
The benefits of a topical content strategy include increased visibility and traffic, improved engagement and interaction, established authority and credibility, improved SEO, and cost-effective marketing.
What are some examples of brands that use topical content?
Some examples of brands that use topical content include Nike, Coca-Cola, Red Bull, and Dove, which create content that resonates with their audience and helps build brand awareness and engagement.